Tuesday, April 8, 2008

It's (God Willing) Never Too Late!

April 8, 2008! There are young writers and middle-aged writers and "older" writers. I'm the latter! For years (ever since 1987) when I had my first published article (in The Lookout), I've called myself a writer. My husband had told me as soon as I sold my first article, I could say that! BUT I never took myself seriously and everything else (including watching basketball) took precedence. Especially my family.

I've been very blessed to have met the Lord as a teenager and am grateful for the multitude of experiences He has given me and the ways He has guided me. Always a new experience around each bend. Some have been hard but the road has never been dull. And even now ...in my retirement years, I seem to find each day filled to the brim. This blog is part of that. I hope to share a part of my life (writing) that has gotten short shrift in the past years.

Although my husband, John, and I lived most of our married life in Oswego, NY where he was a professor at Oswego State University, we are now "snowbirds." My "fantasy" basketball name is FlorPenn (a combination of Florida and Pennsylvania) ...two states that I love! Actually Pennsylvania is probably my first love but New York and Florida are tied for a very close second. The beauty of each state is so special but I'm sidetracking!

There are many things I will talk about but this blog is mainly to share the part of my life I have neglected the most up till now which is WRITING. That has begun to change in the past year and I hope I can continue to say that I grow ever more diligent as that is what I feel God has for me to do in this season of my life. But this blog will not be just about writing. I'm sure you will soon find that family, friends and the land of Israel are all mentioned on a regular basis. Israel was where I met my husband and the place we returned for our 25th anniversary as well as our 35th! My oldest son lived in Israel while studying and working for almost nine years and my daughter studied in Israel for one semester also. In fact, all of our children as well as my daughter's fiance went to Israel together when we celebrated our 25th anniversary. John and I love to travel. This year we also had a fabulous trip to Tanzania where our middle son and his wife have lived and worked in the Serengeti for the last few years. I may be "older" but I hope this is the "beginning" of the most productive part of my writing life.

5 comments:

Terri Tiffany said...

I love the karen's korner! great job! If you want, I will link you to mine- let me know!

John Knapp II said...

I'm too embarrassed to say who I am, but Karen is my heroine! I'm proud to know her, and see what she's done here.

I could say I'm in love with her! (I'm certain, somehow, that this system will blow my cover... ;-)

--a secret friend

John Knapp II said...

Hmmm... Seems like there's a plug in the pipe...

JKII

John Knapp II said...

Ah...! I got through! Shows that anyone can...

Kaiser said...

I'm not embarrassed to say who I am! I'm the middle son, Eli, who thinks that Karen's Korner should be Karen's Kloof for a little more originality. He also thinks that his Mom is the ultimate.