Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Reading it!

Suppsedly reading a book doesn't have all that much to do with writing. But I did just buy the book "The Shack" which I heard vaguely was on the NY Times bestseller list. I don't always keep up with that.... so I'm taking someone's word for it. But even here in Montrose I have friends who have read it and want to read it so we can "talk about it." My daughter said for me to buy it and then send it to her as she wants to read it so I did! The connection to writing is that I have heard it started out as a self-published book. My husband is planning to self-publish his book hopefully by the end of this year or the beginning of next year. There are more and more of those but, of course, few make it to the NY Times best seller list. One of the reasons John wants to self publish is that he is very picky. He would like this particular book done in certain ways because he is joining genres together ....he calls his book sci-fo because he has a realistic fiction story wrapped around stories that are science fiction and folklore. That would cause problems with publishers most likely. I think it's best because he will be happy with it and get it out there for longer than the ten month shelf life that most publishers give their books (from what I heard and that's all I know.) Anyway I will read The Shack next (I'm in the middle of another book) and MAYBE I'll post whether I like it or not. You'll have to check back to find out:)

Tomorrow and this does not have to do with driving but we are celebrating my husband's birthday and I am hoping it is a beautiful day for a drive. We rarely go too far in the gorgeous fall PA countryside so tomorrow is a day to go for a drive to Laceyville and Tunkhannock having lunch somewhere on the way. John said we would "see PA" when we retired but so far we've seen more of far-away places. This will be a first just to go sight-seeing around home.

2 comments:

Terri Tiffany said...

I have had several people tell me how great that book is--in fact at lunch today, another couple said the same thing. I'd love to read it--just need to go get a copy too!

John Knapp II said...

Nice to be remembered on my birthday by the love of my life!

--John